Sunday, February 24, 2008

Alone In The Wild

You're in rural Alabama on a Saturday evening thirty miles from your home. Your daughter has to get to a district honor band in thirty minutes. You're car gets a flat tire. Not just a leak or a nail, but a big old slash in the side wall. You change the tire using the stupid little doughnut tire that serves as a spare . Skinning your knuckles in the process. Then you discover that the spare tire isn't holding air either. The valve stem is broken. Did I mention that it's Saturday evening in rural Alabama. Triple AAA asks, "What would you like to do." You respond, "I would like you to take my daughter to her concert and then fix my flat tire." There is silence on the phone. Then the triple A rep asks, "Do you know that you're in rural Alabama?" I don't think you are going to find someone to fix your tire on a Saturday evening down there. When the tow truck driver showed up, he asked, "What would you like to do?" Well, can we take my daughter to her concert and then get my tire fixed?" Silence..... "Did you know that this is rural Alabama?", the driver asked.

Scribbles got one of her friends to drive her to the concert. The tow truck driver called in a favor and got a buddy to stay open late at the Sears Automotive store. Jake spent lots of money getting the tire fixed. But alls well that ends well.

No comments: