Monday, September 16, 2013

Zombies Run


So, one moment you are minding your own business and then all of a sudden you are being chased by zombies.  I don't care how much of a couch potato you are, when you are being chased by zombies, you pick up the pace.  That is the premise behind Zombies Run, an interactive running app for your iPhone or Android.  In the story, you are Runner 5. Hundreds of lives are counting on you. You've got to help your base rebuild from the ruins of civilization by collecting critical supplies while avoiding roving zombie hordes. Can you save them and learn the truth about the zombie apocalypse?

I've spent lots of money on crazy things over the years including gym memberships, workout equipment, special shoes and special clothes.  I even bought one of those thing that provided an electric shock to your gut.  Now that was crazy!  Having tried so many other schemes to convince myself to get up off of the couch, having zombies chase me doesn't seem so crazy now does it?  So I spent $3.99 on the Zombies Run App.  

I've been using it for a week now and I can tell you that if nothing else, I've gotten up off the couch to go running more often with the app than without the app.  Will that keep me going after the novelty wears off?  I don't know, but I will keep you informed.



So what exactly goes on in the Zombies Run App.  First you enter a little information about yourself.  Your weight, and how long do you want your missions to last.  The choices are 30 and 60 minutes.  Next you have to download the missions.  Each mission is an audio file that plays intermittently while you are running. As you may have surmised, the Audio is something like, "Hey, there are Zombies chasing you."  Does that sound cheesy to you?  You would be surprised how easily you can convince yourself that zombies are chasing you with the stereo audio of zombie moans and footsteps while running at night.

The program also has an element where you can collect supplies and build a base with the points you earn. This adds a little extra encouragement to go the distance.

My review: I give Zombies Run 4 out of 5 stars.  It is easily worth $4.  My only deduction is that the mission files won't load over my wifi network.  If I can find a way to fix that, I will boost this app up to 5 stars.

No comments: